Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Rocky Mountain National Park

    September 10, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    We went to Boulder, CO. It is a small, cute town with a mall of shops and eateries. It is a college town so there are many things to do. We just walked around. We were going to hike at the Flatirons, but decided against it due to time and the lack of parking.

    Because we went to Boulder, we entered the park on the east side through Estes Park. We stopped at the Estes Park brewery for pizza and beer. Our campground was on the West side of the park so we had to drive through the park to get to our campground, Timber Creek. Shortly after we entered the park we saw elk in the fields. It is mating season and they are in the fields evenings and mornings.

    After that we started an upward climb. We were crossing the high point (over 12000 ft elevation) around 7:00PM where we were driving through the clouds. It was extremely foggy for 15+ miles, with visibility at times under 50 ft. Not a relaxing or scenic drive. The temperature was down to 37. We made it safely and found out the road was closed this morning because of ice, with snow on the mountain.

    Our campground is nice, but like many NPs, no showers. While we were setting up, we heard a bull elk calling.

    It rained around 11:00 pm but it didn't keep us awake. We awoke to 38 deg temperatures.
    Read more