Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Page - kayaking

    September 29, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    We had reserved kayaks for morning. The first part of the paddle was on the lake, which has a fair amount of boat traffic meaning lots of wakes to deal with. Over we turned into Antelope Can yon the water calmed downed and the canyon walls began to close in. After kayaking about 2.5 miles, the water came to an end and we backed the kayaks and began to hike up the canyon. We overheard a guide for group saying earlier in the year the water went up another 200 years.

    The hike in the canyon was beautiful. We came to a small ladder to climb to the next level of the canyon. We stopped hiking after about 1.75 miles and began our way back, done we had a 4.5 hour drive ahead of us.

    Before leaving the lake area we went to the "beach", which wasn't much of a beach but we were able to hike down over the rocks and take a quick dip in the lake.

    Our drive to Mesa Verde NP was mostly over 2 lane roads with nothing around.... and most was through native American territory.

    We stopped in the town of Cortez about 10 miles from the park and had a sandwich and a beer at Wild Edge Brewing Collective.

    We arrived at the campground after dark and after the office was closed. The directions left for us were less than clear. While the paper had a site number on it, the person working had neglected to write "pick any available site". We went to the site printed on the paper and someone was in it. Eileen talked to him and he said it was any available site. Being that it was dark, we took the next available site, which was OK but probably not the site we would have picked in the daylight.
    Read more