Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Sailing the Coral Sea

    December 19, 2022 ⋅ 🌧 84 °F

    Stormy!
    Woke up to a very wet and windy balcony.
    83F / 28C (feels like 92 F)
    Overcast skies and windy
    80% humidity

    35 knot winds (~40 mph) and earlier in the morning it reached 55 knots (~63 mph!)
    Swells at 3-5 meters (9-15ft)

    Spent the morning in the Explorer’s Lounge looking for wildlife and watched as the ship sailed into a dark ominous cloud. Wind picked up and the rain just dumped. Glad I was inside…

    I’ll post a video and some pictures later, it was amazing.

    SCENIC SAILING: GREAT BARRIER REEF
    Stretching for 1,400 miles along the Queensland coast, the Great Barrier Reef is the only structure composed of living creatures visible from soace. This UNESCO World Heritage Site, often called the Eighth Wonder of the World, encompasses 2,900 separate reefs, 600 islands and 300 cays. Each harbors an astonishing variety of marine life, including 360 types of brightly hued hard coral and more than 1,500 species of fish. The waters in this region of the Coral Sea are remarkably clear, affording a unique glimpse of life underwater, even for ship passengers. Vibrant coral, green sea turtles, dolphins and any number of other creatures might be seen deep below the aquamarine surface.
    Read more