Satellite
Show on map
  • Torres del Río to Viana

    September 21, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Today's route was just a short 11km walk to Viana, a smallish city of about 4000 people.

    Most pilgrims were pressing on to Logroño, a much bigger place, to catch “La Peña de las Uvas”, the pressing of the grapes. We have a preference for the smaller cities. Likely we’ll have breakfast in Logroño tomorrow on the way through.

    It was quite cool when we started walking, about 10C. But sunny and dry and shorts and short sleeved shirt felt great. Perfect weather for walking.

    There was a bit of up and down on a good track through grape and olive growing areas; a stop for a coffee and snack in the bush at Casita Lucia. We arrived at Viana at lunchtime. After getting some necessities from the pharmacy, we had a fine lunch of tortilla with ham, and Coke Zero.

    At 2pm we checked in to Palácio de Pujadas, which is in fact somewhat palatial. Very comfortable anyway, right on the main street and Camino.

    Kevin read that yesterday was World Paella Day and had failed to observe it appropriately so he hopes to make up for that tonight. John will refrain.

    On this leg we left Navarra province and crossed into La Rioja. We think that explains the lack of dual Spanish/Basque signage. Perhaps we’ve left Basque territory.
    Read more