Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Masai Mara Village

    June 11, 2017 in Kenya ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Today we were welcomed into a Masai Mara Village where the men performed a welcoming dance, we were then spoken to by the son of the leader of the village who explained a few traditions to us.

    you can tell the different Masai Mara families apart by the colour they wear.
    • they do not have a hospital and use plants to treat illness'.
    • the women built the huts using cow manure, mud, water and sticks.
    • the huts need to be rebuilt every nine years because termites ruin them.
    • the men have to look after their stock and protect the village.
    • the women gather firewood and water, they feed everyone and make sure the houses are clean.
    • a man can have up to seven wife's and each wife gets their own house, majority of families have five children which means they can have up to thirty-five children!
    • the wife's do not get jealous of each other and are friends.
    • they cannot marry within their village because they are all related so the parents arrange marriages in other villages, the men will stay in their village and the females will move there.

    We then were welcomed into their homes, as you walk in there is a small room where they have calfs (to protect them from wild animals) and then a hallway to the main area where there is their kitchen which consists of a fire in the middle of the room. To the left of the kitchen is the parents room which is the size of a double bed and a room for the lambs then to the right is the children's room which is also the size of a double bed.
    Read more