Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Nalubaale Bridge

    June 14, 2017 in Uganda ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    The Nalubaale bridge was built in 1954 and is located at Njeru, a suburb of Jinja on the Victoria Nile, between the source of the Nile to the south and Nalubaale Power Station to the north. This is adjacent and immediately north of where the Uganda Railways line crosses the Victoria Nile. It is located on the proposed Kampala–Jinja Expressway, approximately 82 kilometres (51 mi), by road, east of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city.

    The Nalubaale Bridge is one of the only two road crossings across the Victoria Nile in Uganda, the other crossing being the Karuma Bridge, approximately 285 kilometres (177 mi), by road, to the north. The road crossing at Jinja is of national and regional significance because it is part of the "Northern Corridor", a highway across east and central Africa linking the Indian Ocean at Mombasa, Kenya, to the Atlantic Ocean at Matadi, Democratic Republic of the Congo. The old bridge, commissioned in 1954, is in bad structural shape and has outlived its expected lifespan. The new bridge will carry a four-lane dual highway with pedestrian sidewalks. It will be the longest bridge in Uganda at 525 metres (1,722 ft) long.

    I put a footprint at this bridge because I found it interesting that no one was allowed to take photographs of it. The bridge is lined with police and if caught taking photographs there are serious penalties. They consider that bridge to be very important because it is the quickest way to get food and other resources in to the capital of Uganda - Kampala, if enemies were to know the structure of the bridge they would be able to bomb the bridge and cause mayhem.
    Read more