Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    1. Lukla to Kathmandu

    May 20, 2023 in Nepal ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    We were woken up at 0600 by Gumbu , saying that we had to be at the airport in half an hour . Gombu said the night before to be ready for breakfast at 0700 , so it was a bit of a shock . Luckily we had packed the night before , and we managed to make it to the airport in good time .
    Lukla airport was complete chaos , the check in was rammed and we had to pay an extra fee for overweight luggage. Which started at 2000 ruppees, James managed to Haggle down to 200 😂
    After waiting about half an hour , the plane to Ramichap arrived , it was tiny and looked very old. The plane could only take 16 passengers and you could see straight into the cockpit.
    Take off was so scary , the runway is very short and you sort of fall off a hill at the end 🤣.
    Our flight was a grand total of 15 mins long to Ramechap , there was quite a lot of turbulence in that 15 minutes 😳.
    Ramechap was very hot and humid , and the minibus to Kathmandu was also transporting another flight , so we had to wait a while before we could leave . During this time , we met a lovely man called Sam, he was selling bananas , crisps and drinks by the side of the minibuses . He was so happy and funny and we got along very well . He was telling us to visit Darjeeling (where all the nice tea comes from) amongst other recommendations .
    The journey from Ramichap is about 5-6 hours long . The minimus was very cramped , hot and uncomfortable . Most of the main roads are under construction in Nepal, so it was a very bumpy ride . Our driver kept overtaking on blind bends whilst on his phone , it was crazy .
    After all that dodgy overtaking, we managed to get to Kathmandu in 4.5 hours .
    We checked into our room and sorted through all our clothes that needed washing from the trek and dropped them off at a launderette. We felt like we needed a good food binge after our trek , so we ate loads of fried chicken for dinner - which was amazing!
    Afterwards, we walked slowly back to our hotel room and watched a mountaineering film called "touching the void " before going to sleep . The bed is so comfortable .
    Read more