Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    5. Museum & Chinatown

    June 17, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 33 °C

    This morning we headed to the Museum which contains centuries old siamese treasures , weapons and antiques within 18th century palace walls . The museum also displays extensive collections of buddhist arts .
    There was a lot to absorb at the museum, and had only just managed to see everything before it shut for the evening, but was very interesting learning abit more about the History of Thailand.

    After the museum we walked alongside the large river Bangkok sits on, we had heard about getting a Catarmaran down into town as it was a cheap and scenic way to view Bangkok. Passing some famous sites on the way. It didn't disappoint and was great fun, we got down to Chinatown and jumped off here. Unfortunately after speaking to a Tuk Tuk driver he said that actually all businesses would be shut today, however the street markets are open. Once we hit the central strip of China Town, Bangkok was alive, people shouting, offering foods. We stopped for a some noodles at a very busy (with locals) street vendor and had Thai Noodles with Chicken, we are able to eat meat here and haven't been poorly so far eating mainly street food. We haven't tried insects yet but many places in Thailand to get them. After an hour or so at Chinatown the locals were frantically putting up shelters and within about 10 mins, we experienced probably the heaviest rain I've ever been in. It was almost as if the flood gates opened, we stood in China Town for about 25 mins hoping it would end but ended up getting a taxi back to our old hotel to have a coffee there before walking back to our new cheaper hotel.

    On the way back we walked around Khoa San Road and the night markets, we would of liked to have a night here but have been very tired after being out in the city all day. We hope to have a day or so longer in Bangkok so maybe we could attempt to get us oldies out on the town then.
    Read more