Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    15. Eiffol National Park

    February 19 in Belgium ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Today we headed off after breakfast and started to head south to Valkenburg. We drove in and out of 3 countries heading down. We drove to a van services station and then headed to Valkenburg, unfortunately it was tipping with rain but we did drive through the centre and saw most of the sites anyway as it was very small. In WW2 Valkenburg was where Jews came to hide from the Nazi's. It is said that 3000 local people helped hide Jews in and around the local area, and only 1000 survived when they were caught.

    We headed onto Eiffol National park home to more battles during WW2, enroute we stopped at the American WW2 cementry. Lovely building but it was daunting seeing so many graves. On every headstone was a message about each soldier and out of the 7800 buried here, only 400 are unknown.

    We got to Eupen on the edge of the national park and found a great park up for tonight. We drove over a Dam to get here. We took Maddy on a nice walk through the woodland for a couple of hours (it was raining again though....)

    Looking forward to having a nice chilli for tea.
    Read more