Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    33. German Alpine Route

    March 8 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Today was the day we have both been so hyped for! Waking up to the best weather we have seen so far was a massive bonus. We headed off to the start of the Alpine Route. Enroute we stopped to do groceries and James gave the van a quick clean to get the salt off from the roads.

    We then headed south, edging around the Austrian border and through the mountains. We had a really cool mountain pass called Oberjoch, this has 108 turns within 4km and rises us upto 1230 mtrs! As you can imagine in a 3.5 tonne vehicle it wasn't ideal but we got up without anything coming out of the cupboards, clearly James' driving was very smooth 😂.

    Once at the top we stopped and enjoyed some snow and watching the skiiers, we then drove onto our next stop. When we were halfway there,we stopped and decided to go on a good mountain walk to embrace the gorgeous weather. We found a great park up close to the walk and headed off, it was a moderate (in alp standards) walk and still had a 450 mtr climb taking us up to the top. We got into deep snow and edged around the mountain next to a castle at the top. It was so cool to go and walk in the crisp snow with the sun shining.

    After a long and slippery walk back down, we headed to our campsite. We spent the evening washing clothes and sorting out the van. What a great day. Another beautiful day tomorrow, so we are heading to Neuschwanstein castle, which is the most impressive castle in the world, it features in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and inspired Walt Disney when designing the Disney castle.

    We went to the local pub called 'Wirthaus Wiesele' for a lovely German dinner and beer. We had a pork loin which was delicious.
    Read more