Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    37. Munich

    March 12 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Today we woke up and took Maddy on a good walk before heading into Munich. There are many rail and airport strikes in Germany so we didn't experience the usual efficient service. We both feel quite worried about leaving the van, especially Maddy being left inside. This is the roughest area we have left the van for the day.

    After landing in Marienplatz we were greeted with the amazing capital of Bavaria, it lived up to the rest of the stunning towns we have visited. We then took a long scenic walk around the old city and visited the Residenz Munich which has been home to many royal bavarian kings and Queens. Strolling through the city every part of Munich was stunning, we saw so many super cars, posh hotels and designer stores down the Maxmillianstrrate. To have our lunch we stopped at a man made wave called Eisbachwelle in the river. There were many surfers there catching the wave, it looked very technical! This was super cool and unusual for a normal city experience.

    After stopping for a coffee we decided to rent E scooters and head for a trip around the English Garden, the world's biggest inner city park! This was really fun zipping here there and everywhere.

    After all the fun we decided to carry on our WW2 tour as Munich is where Hitler first came to power. We visited the old town Hall which was used by Hitler at parts before the war broke out. Then we headed to Fhurerbau, next to Kongisplatz, which was Hitlers HQ during the early stages of the war and where he had his private study. Despite now being used by the university of Munich, it is one of the only remaining buildings purposefully built for the Nazis in 1934. We also took a look around Konigsplatz and looked at the old war photos, where huge swarms of Nazis stood in the ginormous square... It felt very surreal being here, I think mainly due to it being only 80/90 years ago.

    The next stop was Hofbräuhaus, a very old and famous traditional Munich pub. We stopped here not just for the beer but because this was where the Nazi Party was formulated, it is where Hitler made his first speeches to his following party and where he declared Anti Semitisum against the Jews. It was slightly daunting having a beer where they all once stood. Upstairs was the main room which had a anniversary party every year they were in power, unfortunately this was closed but we still had a good feel for the place. We enjoyed a lovely beer and it went straight to our heads after walking 10 miles 🍻. When I paid, the waiter tried asking me for a 5 euro tip, despite being only a 10 euro bill.. cheeky bugger, obviously I declined and he got a euro. After a nice walk back we got a very busy train back to the van, it's still there! We treated ourselves to a nice takeaway after a busy day on our feet.
    Read more