Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Tour of the United Nations Geneva

    January 9, 2019 in Switzerland ⋅ ❄️ 1 °C

    Starting the day with a tour of the United Nations in Geneva. This place was originally home to the League of Nations between WW1 and WW2 but subsequently became the home of a number of the institutions that make up the modern day UN.

    After full airport style security and an immigration style security check (no I’m not a terrorist, no I haven’t been to the likes of Syria), I was in and able to explore the grounds before heading inside for my guided tour.

    The tour was fanatic and due to it being a quiet day at the UN we were able to visit all the main rooms! This included the home of the original general assembly and the original offices of the League of Nations. This compared to the newest state room, which is home to an amazing ceiling of art. Changing colour we’re ever you are in the room, the art work is designed to show that the same thing can be different depending on your location. Thus emulating the most important thing about the UN, the difference of opinion and the need to reconciliation and agreement.

    The tour finished with a beautiful view of the lake and the mountains leading to Mount Blanc, oh and fair load of snow!
    Read more