Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Goldberg’s in the House!

    January 1, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    So in Jaisalmer Fort there’s an Italian restaurant called “Jaisal Italy”. If you say it fast enough it sounds like “Little Italy”. But not really.

    We saw the sign and their promo slogan about being authentically Italian as soon as we arrived in the fort. We were skeptical. It’s just not possible that you can find good Italian food in Jaisalmer Fort, especially in the most touristy area right near the main gate.

    But we were hungry, and it was late. So we walked up the steep stairs and asked for a table. Our waiter came to the table. “What would you like?” he asked. “What’s good here?” we responded, like anybody should in any Italian restaurant. “The pizza is good,” the waiter said. We were skeptical again. Because Joe makes really good pizza at home, and we’ve probably eaten some of the best pizza in the world in various places in Italy. And we’re in India, which is not famous for pizza.

    “OK, we’ll take the cheese pizza that has the sausage,” we requested. “And your best bottle of wine,” which turned out to be a Cabernet Sauvignon made in India. “Do you have any wines made in Italy?” we asked. “No” was the response. Indian wine it was.

    Well, the wine and the pizza weren’t terrible. Enough said.

    They had an espresso machine in the corner. We decided to return the next day for coffee.

    When we walked up the stairs, we were immediately recognized. In fact, the greeter and several of the waiters walked up to Joe while we were having our drinks and told him he looks like Bill Goldberg. I didn’t know who Bill Goldberg was so asked, afraid once again that I’d be accused of not being in touch with pop culture. Well, yet again I was oblivious to something everyone knew, apparently.

    One of the most popular figures of the professional wrestling boom during the late 1990s and early 2000s, Goldberg is widely regarded as one of the most powerful wrestlers of all time. He is credited with inventing the spear finishing move in wrestling, which he popularized, and for which he gained a reputation for being the best at executing the move.

    My husband is apparently a spitting image of him in the eyes of many Indian men.

    We ate or had some wine at that restaurant five times while we stayed in Jaisalmer, and every time we walked up the stairs Joe would yell “Goldberg’s in the HOUSE!”. And the entire staff would burst out laughing and smile every time they came to our table.

    It’s the little things that matter.
    Read more