Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 87

    Day 87: Taking it easy in Chiang Mai

    September 10, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Very little happening today after such a busy day yesterday. We slept in and had a relaxed hotel breakfast before chilling out in our room until midday or so. Wandered out into the city and had lunch at a small cheap Thai restaurant before finding a fancy cafe with an attached co-working space and settling in for the afternoon.

    Chiang Mai is very popular with digital nomads, bloggers and expats because of the cheap lifestyle, good internet and relaxed attitudes to things, and places like this are very common. There were quite a few westerners in here (and a couple of locals too), sitting hunched over laptops and working away. Shandos started catching up on her Instagram and social media work, while I caught up on a few days worth of blog posts. I still need to find a few hours to edit together some videos, as I've been using the GoPro a lot more in Thailand!

    The cafe closed at 4:30 so we headed back to the hotel. Hung out for a couple of hours before I headed out around 6pm to watch the Manchester derby - United vs City live from Old Trafford. I returned to John's Place where the game was on several big screens, so I drank a couple of beers and watched the game surrounded by pasty English expats with saggy tattoos and bored Thai girlfriends 1/3rd their age. Disappointing result though, United lost 2-1 after getting battered for most of the first half. Nipped into Maccas for a late dinner as the game didn't finish until nearly 9pm.

    Spent a bit more time online at the hotel before turning in. Shandos hadn't done much in my absence other than eat some Thai food for dinner at a local restaurant.
    Read more