Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 396

    Day 397: Exploring Salamanca

    March 18, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    The whistle-stop tour of Spain continues! Up and out early after our complimentary breakfast of coffee, juice and a slice of toast! Drove a couple of hours northwards to the small city of Salamanca. It's a small city, but with a beautiful old town and is home to the fourth oldest university in the world (behind Bologna, Oxford and Paris).

    We couldn't check in until 3pm, so we had a nice lunch at a nearby cafe - another set menu. It's pretty great to get 3 courses, bread and a drink for 10-12 euros, hard to beat that kind of value. Though we did have to sit outside in the cold since dogs weren't allowed inside.

    Checked into our Airbnb, which was quite large and very modern - one of the nicest ones we've stayed in for quite a while. After looking at the weather and considering our options, we decided to take advantage of the bright sunshine and head out to do our filming today. Originally it was planned for tomorrow, but a full day of rain was in the forecast and sunset tonight wasn't until 7pm, so we had plenty of time to get things done.

    So get things done we did! It's quite a lovely old town, lots of stone buildings and narrow streets, but very clean and bright. Not much graffiti around either, everything seemed quite well kept.

    We checked out a lot of places including Plaza Mayor (the main square), the older University buildings, the cathedral which is actually two separate cathedrals combined into one building, some nice gardens, and an old Roman-era bridge which was still intact and carrying traffic until the 1960s. We'd packed quite a lot in but it was nice and sunny (albeit chilly in the shade, the city is quite high up).

    Headed home and spent the evening relaxing and using the blazing fast internet connection. Just bread, olive oil, and some cured meats for dinner after our big lunch.
    Read more