Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 432

    Day 433: Etretat & Amiens Cathedral

    April 23, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    More driving today! First stop was just up the coast from Le Havre, a small coastal town called Etretat. Its main drawcard feature are large white chalky cliffs exactly like you get at Dover, though these are slightly smaller and probably a little less impressive. Still very cool though, and interesting to think about since the English coast isn't all that far away (though this is much further than the Dover-Calais distance).

    The town itself was quite cute as well, and seemed to be very popular. We'd arrived around 9:30 and by the time we left at 11 it was getting quite full. A few nice little streets, knick-knack shops and the like. But quite kitsch and touristy - nice to know that the French aren't above that after all, it's not all Chanel and macarons!

    Back in the car where we drove another few hours to the north-east, heading to the city of Amiens. This is home to one of the famous French gothic cathedrals, Notre-Dame de Amiens. It's obviously a World Heritage site, so we found a car park underground, left Schnitzel in the car and spent a couple of hours filming inside and out. We're getting pretty good at these, spotting the differences and so on. I do sometimes wonder whether it's necessary to have every single huge French gothic cathedral on the list though - maybe just the best one, or combine them or something. I dunno.

    Finished here, we headed to the outskirts of the city where we had our apartment for the next two nights. It was a loft studio located in the upper floor of a yuppie couple's terrace house. Aside from being let in, we had basically no contact with them. It was quite nice and freshly renovated, though up quite a few stairs!

    Not having any cooking facilities, we headed out to a nearby McDonalds for dinner! Very surprised to see a banner welcoming Australians to the McDonalds, and then realised that it was ANZAC Day in a couple of days, and this was in the Western Front area. What a coincidence!
    Read more