Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 486

    Day 487: Roros Mining Town

    June 16, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Not the best sleep since we'd pitched the tent near one of the roads through the campground, and every time a car rolled past it sounded like they were going to run us over! It also wasn't quite level either, so rolling over wasn't really a possibility. But worst of all: the mattress has a slow leak, so we both woke up on a flat mattress, pressed up against the hard ground. Might be some cabins in our near future!

    Started the day with a couple of hours drive, arriving in Roros around 12pm. This is a small copper mining town, where basically the entire old wooden section of town is a world heritage site. Being only a couple of hours from a city, it's a bit touristy and on a sunny Saturday there were quite a few people around.

    We visited the church, the old smelter (albeit a replica), the slag heaps and some of the old houses that once housed workers. It was quite interesting, but very similar to other mining towns we've seen before. But a worthwhile visit nevertheless.

    Had a local speciality for lunch which was a pjalte; basically a thick flapjack-style pancake, not too sweet, with spread butter and brown cheese. Quite nice!

    Got a small cabin about 30 minutes outside of town, where we watched football and relaxed for the evening.
    Read more