Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 558

    Day 559: Horezu Monastery

    August 27, 2018 in Romania ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Back on the World Heritage site bandwagon! Packed up, got an Uber back out to the airport and picked up our car for the next few weeks, a Renault Clio hatchback. Basically the same car we had in Poland a couple of months ago.

    First up was about a three hour drive to the south-west of Bucharest, to a spot called Horezu Monastery. It's an eastern Orthodox monastery from the 16th century that's home to a unique style of art. Unfortunately I couldn't film inside, where the church was completely covered in beautiful murals, but it was very impressive. I could at least film the outside where there was still a bit to see.

    Pressed on for another 30 minutes to our hotel for the night, just past the town of Horezu. Very small town and a very rural environment - Romania feels like one of the least developed countries in the EU and it shows as soon as you leave Bucharest. People still using horse and cart to transport farm goods, poor quality roads, cows on the road, crumbling buildings, you name it. But the hotel was quite modern so we were happy. And Romanians are pretty friendly, and most of the younger folk speak English.
    Read more