Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Recovering in Udon Thani

    July 20, 2019 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    After a brief night of "sleep" on the bus, we arrived into Udon Thani at about 6am, well ahead of schedule. We'd forgotten to pull up a map to our hotel when we still had wifi and were a bit lost, though we knew our hotel was within about 500 metres and was roughly *that* direction. In the end I found a random hotel and asked the guy at the front desk for their wifi password so we could find our hotel! We weren't too far away.

    Naturally, since it was 6:30am, our room wouldn't be ready until 11am so we had a lot of time to kill. This hotel has a self-service kitchen and dining area, so we sat in there for a couple of hours and chatted to an American couple for a while. They'd come across the border from Laos so the lady could have a root canal, since medical facilities are much better here in Thailand than Laos.

    Our room was ready early at about 9am so we headed upstairs for a much needed shower and change. Decided to head out to the nearby mall and have a McDonalds breakfast, then wandered around a little bit afterwards.

    The rest of the day we just spent idling away in the hotel, snoozing and doing various things online. Annoyingly, the hotel wifi isn't working in our room so we can choose between either wifi or air conditioning, as the reception area isn't air conditioned. Annoying!

    Headed out in the evening for some dinner at the nearby pub street which seems to be the epicentre of nightlife here. Mostly skeevy looking old white guys and young Thai women in tank tops. I dunno if they're specifically prostitutes, but they're definitely "looking for love". We had a drink at a bar and ignored the women, then ended up having egg roti from a street cart, followed by wonton noodle soups from a Chinese man around the corner.
    Read more