Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Arrival in Greece

    May 18, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Getting through Tel Aviv airport yesterday was a long and rather wearying process, made more complex by the fact that there 19 of us trying to vaguely hang together through the check in and security procedures. When we were all nearly through, it then appeared that Mike had lost his boarding pass, although it later turned out that amidst the business of sorting out his overweight baggage, he had somehow never been given one, so that meant some backtracking and extra hassle for him and Patsy. Quite a relief when we all were finally gathered at the departure gate.
    (Incidentally, random fact about Tel Aviv airport that I quite liked - the toilets had a sort of treadle flush mechanism, that seemed sensible and hygienic. Have never seen that before.)

    The flight to Athens was a bit delayed too, so it was around 11pm when the tired pilgrims finally landed in Greece. Happily, our Greek tour liaison, Christina, was there to meet us, and the luggage didn't take much time to come through, so we were on the road before too long. The airport is 35 km from the city, so it still made for a nearly midnight arrival at the Royal Olympic Hotel. Room keys were rapidly distributed, Mike found his guitar and we made our weary way to the lifts to the strains of 'The day though gavest, Lord, has ended' which he likes to have us sing somewhere at the close of most days. I was very grateful that it had ended and that there was a very comfortable bed awaiting me!
    Now it is early on Friday morning, and we are to be having a tour of Athens starting at 9am.

    This feels like the grandest hotel we have stayed in so far so I am quite enjoying pretending I am a Greek princess and soaking it all up.
    Read more