Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Delphi

    May 21, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Another long day. We spent the morning in Delphi looking at ruins of the theatre , stadium, treasuries, temples etc (I feel like I am getting a bit carried away with photos of ruins so I will spare you too many pix this time , but this kiwi still gets a buzz from being around buildings, or their remains, that have been around during for over 2000 years.) We had a wander round the Delphi museum too, then had lunch at a nearby taverna that had some lovely views over the valley. The afternoon was spent in the bus, as it was a four or five hour drive here to Kalambaka, with just a couple of stops, one for coffee, loos etc, and the other to visit a beautiful little Byzantine style church from the 13th century. After the second stop, the guitar came out and we seemed to work our way through a vast number of country and other songs that Mike knew only the first verse and or chorus of.

    We reached Kalambaka at about 7.30 and are staying at another little boutique hotel with a very distinct character, just beneath some massive sandstone pillars . I gather that tomorrow's agenda will be visiting the ancient monasteries that were built on the pillars. Food was a bit muddly tonight. The hotel arranged pizza delivery for those who wanted it, some of us wandered back down into the village to look for takeaways, others chose to eat at a taverna in the village. I didn't feel like much, but found a savoury bread roll at a bakery, and bought a glass of wine here at the hotel to accompany it. Food seems cheaper here than in Israel although I don't fully understand how the Euro compares with the US dollar, which I mostly used there. Because it was Pentecost Sunday, Mike led in a short informal communion service at about 9:45 for those of us who were still around. Feeling pretty weary now, but glad that we are here for two nights so I don't need to be all packed up tomorrow morning, and I will have a chance to do some laundry if we are here for another night.
    Read more