Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Samos

    May 24, 2018 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Not much sleep last night, we were all up by 3am and en route to the airport shortly after. Checkin queues were pleasingly short at that hour, but there was quite a lengthy wait at the gate for our 6am departure. The flight to Samos was on time, smooth and short (about35 minutes.) A woman called Chara met us there and took us for breakfast at a nearby hotel. We were able to eat at tables outside, near the beach, and there was a wonderful array of food available so by the conclusion of the meal, most of us were feeling somewhat restored after our early start. Chara was not in a hurry to move us on from breakfast, so some wandered down to the beach for a while. I joined in on an outdoor yoga class that was a lot of fun, and helped make up for the stretch and release classes at jellie Park that I have been missing.

    Our ferry to Patmos was not due till 1:45, and I rather sensed that Chara was really just wanting to find ways to pass the time for us as there didn't seem to be a particularly purposeful plan in place,. Still, it was a pleasant enough morning - she took us to the main town (also called Samos), where we had some free time to wander round, and then to the wine museum, where we had a brief tour and the opportunity for some tasting. (Samos is apparently particularly known for its sweet wines.) We were also shown around a couple of historic churches and then Chara seemed quite relieved to be able to be discharged of responsibility for us, once we had unloaded our bags from the bus and had them on the wharf ready for the ferry. The ferry was right on time (so much so that two of our number who were a bit late back from buying lunch in the village narrowly missed being left behind) and we were well under way by 2pm. It is a fairly sizable boat (on a par with the Starships vessels in PNG, Marisa, but no movies and better bathroom facilities) and not too crowded, so thus far it has been a pleasant voyage. I gather it is about a 3 hours trip to Patmos, and there are a few stops along the way. We have just put in at a little island to deposit some military personnel there.

    Later: came into Patmos about 6pm, met by someone called Constantine, who drove us to the hotel where we are staying tonight and tomorrow. Jo is unreasonably excited by the fact that we have a little balcony and a sea view! About half of our group went into town this evening to find food. The rest of us , too weary for that, got a meal from the bar here at the hotel and did not regret that choice. We ate at tables right by the beachfront, looking over a calm and beautiful sea. If I wake with a little more energy than I have right now, I hope to start my day with a swim in that same water. Lapping up the undeserved luxury of our current location and especially conscious of the giftness of this whole trip.
    Read more