Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Day 12 Adrian, Tx - Wallace Ranch, Tx

    June 7, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Day 12 Adrian, TX - Wallace Ranch, Canyon, TX
    Miles - 85
    Turkeys and Rabbits in the middle of the road - 1 each

    As I woke up this morning, I was counting the hours until our next stop - Rest day in Wallace Ranch. Man, I'm tired. I had a relatively good night. The hotel was unique in its own right.

    I feel that we were more ready for the day, as we had requested ALL the luggage out by the Van by 7:00am even though the riders were not leaving until after breakfast at 8:00am. Glenn is getting the system down as to where each piece of luggage fits best in the van. He puts on his knee pads for the first part of packing and it has it so designed that when you open the back door, you only need to open the right side, which would have the essential tool repair kits and such. Maybe there will be extra water there for the cyclists.

    We had a delicious breakfast at Mid-Point Diner, which is the mid-point on Route 66 from Chicago, Illinois to Santa Monica pier, California. This is exactly half way between the two cities on the famous Route 66. We had a long discussion earlier in the #CC2C that you should pronounce Route 66, as "Root". Thank you Vela for this education lecture.

    We did some filming with Vela as she learned more about the Armenian culture from our new friends, Aida and Victor. They took us into their hotel room and she describe the process of the incense and stuff. Beautiful expression of faith. Vela asked some very pointed question. Aida and Victor really loved making new friends. Neil also had a conversation with Ramona, the owner of the Fabulous 40's Motel. Neil encouraged her that she has the opportunity to make new friends each day and can share a little of Jesus with the folks that stay in their motel.

    Then on the road again. The route took us along the service road of Route (pronounced: Root) 66. Insert smiley face here. There were moments when the photographers took video and pictures of the cyclists with the back drop of grass and windmills blowing.

    Today, we had several good stops. We stopped at the famous Cadillac Farm. The cyclists took their bike into the corn fields. Vela started Facebook live. She is hilarious. Once out at the 10 Cadillacs, Vela grabbed a can of blue neon spray paint, took her shoes off and waded out in the mud to paint: #CC2C. Of course we were cheering her on. Once back on dry land, she painted #CC2C on the ground then Neil painted the "messy cross". This is a tradition for those that visit the farm, to paint graffiti on the 10 uprighted cars that are buried 1/2 into the ground.

    Next stop was a bar-b-Que place in Canyon, followed by riding their bicycles into Palo Duro Canyon. Vela and I stopped and we looked over the edge. We walked to a gift shop and I purchased a souvenir spoon. Then we took the customary photo with the background of Palo Duro Canyon.

    We loaded up the bikes onto the back of the vehicle and drove 40 miles to Wallace Ranch. Our next day off! Wallace Ranch has 4 bedrooms with double beds in each, then they have a cute red Box Car, bunk house where the Tomba's are staying. So cute. Wes and Jon are staying at a hotel in Amarillo.

    Glenn and I along with Jeff and James drove into town of Canyon, so Glenn could fill up with gas. We were dry. And while he was filling up, we were inside of Braums getting hamburgers (I got a salad) and some breakfast stuff for the Wallace Ranch. It wasn't until 10pm that we got to bed.

    Another day of good conversations with the Armenia couple, Ramona the owner of the motel, 2 Chinese cyclist that were fully loaded and couldn't speak a lick of English, 3 folks out at the Cadillac farm, and 3 folks at Palo Euro canyon and finally Bruce, the owner of Wallace Ranch.
    Read more