Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 19 Springfield, Mo - Eminence,Mo

    June 14, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Day 19 Springfield MO - Eminence, MO (ColdWater Ranch)
    Miles - 102
    Wrong Turns - 0

    Our accommodations were great at the BW in Springfield. I like the Route 66 thing going on with the old cars and stuff. I really didn’t eat a sit down breakfast, as we were getting the van ready for the day. This motel has the entry to the room right from the parking lot - the old style. I got some yogurt and bagels and cream cheese and we both ate this as we followed the 3 cyclists out of Springfield. The cyclist started your journey from the hotel so we were ready to go when they left just about five minutes behind schedule time. I think it’s very good. 7:05am. About 20 minutes down the road, the Camera had needed to return back to the hotel to get an item. They met up with us again along the way.

    The route at first took us down some fairly major roads much like Northwest Highway in Dallas and then along the service road paralleling the Interstate 44. Then the route took us just on some beautiful, beautiful green and winding hills going up and down up and down. I really enjoyed this part of the trip because we’re going so slow up-and-down that I could look at the farm houses. One had horses out in front. We came across several field of “shredded wheat” all rolled up on the open field.

    Our first conversation was at a diner in Hartville, MO, called Family Diner. Just before we had our lunch, Neil was able to talk to two folks that were cousins and the gentleman have recently lost his wife and the young lady was a single mom cute little five or six-year-old daughter was crying for some attention during the interview not literally crying. Then another conversation happened just as we were packing up to leave. Caroline engaged in her conversation here with this 75-year-old lady that was very soft-spoken skinny and I really don’t know her story however I'm sure Neil was able to challenge her. As we walked out, I looked back at this restaurant and noticed the outside of the building is that it is kinda looks like an old store front church that had been re-furbished to this Hartville Family Cafe. Sure enough, I asked one of the locals and it use to be either a Pentecostal or Methodist church..

    Glenn took a quick cat-nap while our order was being placed. I had the salad bar. We left this sleepy little town of Hartville and headed down the road. I took a nap, probably only 20 minutes, but it felt good. Then for the cyclist break, we pulled off the side of the road and ate the homemade cherry pie that Vela purchased at the Family Cafe. The pie was delicious. We enjoyed the quick 15 minute break at the intersection of two county roads. We walked on the highway and knocked on the door to see if we can use the restroom however all we heard were barking dogs inside, so the camera crew car took several of the ladies to the next town to use the restroom.

    We were in Amish country. I took a photo of an amish buggy. Neil stopped and talked with an Amish farmer. He respectably accepted the interview but did not want his photo taken.

    There were more camera shots. There were some gorgeous drone shots today. Jon stood out in the middle of the Hiway onetime taking a shot. Since we are not in the Camera crew vehicle, we have no idea all the work that goes into making a perfect shot. And like so often, a semi will be coming around the corner and enter into the picture.

    We pulled off the road in Alley Springs Park and walked over newly constructed wooden that was over the fast moving clear blue spring water river. This place was so tranquil and beautiful. Then Neil struck up a conversation with two couples. They had recently lost over 200 pounds and were really passionate about taking care of your body. Taking care of the Lord’s body in that with losing so much weight they are now able to do stuff they couldn't do before. They have more energy. I was standing there to get their signature and give them Neil's card - so I was able to hear their story. So often, I'm not around at the filming and need to find the information out later. They were super excited to be able to "follow Neil"

    Our last stop for the day and lodging for the night was at Cold Water Ranch, just outside of Eminence Missouri. We had about 20 minutes before supper was being served. Our cabin would not be available until after dinner. I had packed in case Glenn and I were separated. We had a delicious chicken fried steak dinner with peas and mashed potatoe. The dessert was some cherry coconut cobbler and Apple Cake.

    Glenn and I sat out under the stars and waited for our cabin to be cleaned. The internet service has b3en sketchy for the last few days, so I haven't been able to upload/download too much. We did connect to the office internet while we waited for our room to get ready.

    Our cabin is a one bed efficiency. A great bathroom, nice kitchen with table and air conditioner. Good night. Day 19 is in the books.
    Read more