Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Day 32 Bellemonte Fishing - Fredricksbur

    June 27, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    Day 32 Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort - Fredricksburg, VA
    Miles - 88
    How many times I opened the 2 side passengers doors to pee on the side of the road - at least 33 times (you gotta do what you gotta do)

    Good morning. It was kinda difficult and challenging to get the Van loaded up with folks staying at 3 different locations. Fortunately, we just took in a small backpack into our cabin. We rearranged the stuff in the 2nd and 3rd seats. As soon as it was time to leave, everyone loaded in the van. Neil started to walk down the gravel road. We picked him up there. It was decided that we would drive out and onto the main highway to start the morning off. Jeff offered to drop the cyclists off, but we drove on ahead. There was a small town of Afton, but only a few houses, no stores or restaurants. We splurged on ahead. The drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway was quiet and peaceful. The mountains were blue and rolling.

    It was then decided we needed to go to Charlottesville, and then find an IHOP. Finally, Breakfast. I know it must have been terribly disappointing not to ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would have been. But that is the way it goes. Things happen for a reason.

    Once at IHOP, we had to wait for a long time. I know Neil was wanting to have a conversation with an employee, but like it has happened so many times, it is just difficult for the employee to get the time away from the job.

    Jeff and Wes sat at a different table to figure out a route for them to take. They got their food first, so to allow time to plan. The route was pretty. Lots of rolling hills and side streets. The route was along Anna Lake. We passed over some railroad tracks and by golf courses. Caroline had an adjustment to her bike. Wes is always right there to repair things.

    We stopped at a convenience store to refuel, go to the bathroom and buy some ice. This location was quite unique. In the public bathroom, there was a shower tub and shower.

    A few hours later, we stopped at the entrance to Lake Anna State Park to get some water. Wes asked for the blue towel that Vela had for Neil. Where you soak it in water, and the cloth becomes very cool. Wes wrapped it around his head. Everyone was HOT and tired. Interesting fact, when they stop, the cyclists are very thirsty, but they don't seem to be breathing hard - like I would. Some sit on the back of the Nissan.

    As they were riding along a two-lane road, Neil stops to have a conversation with a lady that was sitting on her porch. I think she had a dog in her lap. I don't know her story. Glenn, Vela and I were "hiding out" around the corner until he was finished with the conversation.

    Just a few minutes down the road, Neil takes a stumble. He flipped over his bike and down on the shoulder of the road. I mean, I thought the bike was going to be twisted up. Thankfully, Neil tucked and rolled. We stopped immediately to see how Neil was doing. Just a few scratches.

    Our next stop was a convenience store just outside of Fredricksburg. The gals went inside to use the bathroom. Others went in to buy a drink or chips. Glenn started talking to the cashier and asked if he could talk to Neil. Yep, he was available. Glenn walked outside to ask Neil if he had time. Sure enough camera folks got inside quickly and talked with this man from Northern India.

    While they filmed, I stood in the shade tree and made a phone call to Ken R. Ken is having surgery in a few days and I wanted to let him know that we were praying for him. I also told Ken that I appreciated his influence and impact on my life. Of the top 3 things that I have done in my life, this #ConversationsCoasttoCoast along with the summer of 1977 traveling through Central America have been the most challenging, most rewarding and most stressful things I have experience. I could sense his smile through the phone line.

    Next stop was Fredricksburg. It was here, where I first saw the Street direction sign of Washington DC. Yikes it's getting real. And getting close. The CoachWagon drove on ahead and stopped at Walgreens to purchase some Epsom salt for Neil, then we got to the Best Western Hotel.

    The cyclists come riding up with another cyclist. He is semi-pro and enjoyed being with Wes, Neil, and Caroline. Vela met her college friend at the hotel and they went out for dinner. Jeff stayed back and did laundry. The rest of us went to eat Chinese food.

    After dinner, Glenn and I decided to drive 1 hour into the city and get the boxes that we shipped from California out to Virginia at the DeWitts house. Then take those boxes into the hotel at Silver Springs Maryland, where we'll be staying on Friday night. And then drive back. We knew it would be a late night, but you never know what wrench could be thrown in on Friday night. We didn't get back to the hotel until 1:30am, and in bed by 1:45am. Short short night. I had to call the hotel to make arrangements for all this and then Jeff C. had to call the manager since the room reservations are under his name. It all worked out good.
    Read more