Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    2 Churches, Old Friends, and Picnic

    June 4, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    We attended the English speaking church in town as the choir from UBI was singing 3 songs. Susan was the choir director. They did a great job.

    While visiting afterwards, I ran into Dan Genheimer. He was a classmate of mine from Moody.

    The story goes, Dan’s mother and Ramona Schroeder were classmates at Wheaton and when Dan started attending Moody, he would frequently go and visit the Schroeder’s at Foster Ave Baptist Church and that’s where I attended while going to MBI.

    Another story is that we ran into him like during Gary’s 3rd year at Moody when Dan brought their son to attend John Brown University.

    Small World … Big Family

    Then we drove over to the Binion’s Sulu church. I didn’t understand a thing except when they interjected a few English words here and there.

    We drove to a park and joined Stephanie and David and kids for a pizza picnic. There was a miniature train we all rode.

    We finished the evening with a FaceTime call to dad and then to Mark Hopper (our old youth director) from way back in the 70’s.

    Eric and Susan had a Skype call with their kids. Then we taught them the game “Left, Center, Right”, a game we played on the cruise ship during Sea Days.

    While playing the game, we shared some hard times, good times and funny times while being a missionary. We enjoyed sharing.
    Read more