Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Lunch with 2 widow Retiree and more

    July 3, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    Check this day off as successful!

    We had lunch with 90 year old widow Elaine Goosen who served 40+ years in Brazil. She has 4 sons, 12 grandkids and 22 great grandkids. She has a slew of kids and grandkids serving on the mission field. One son and daughter-in-law were on the last plane that left Ukraine before the war broke out 1.5 years ago. Elaine’s mind is sharp and she has a tender heart. She said, “I don’t know why I am still here, but I want thy e Lord to show me how to pray better”. Wow I thought.

    This past weekend her family and the whole gang honored her for her 90th birthday. Cake, a crown and even a shash.

    Elaine walked slow and steady holding onto me and the railings. She was a delight to get to know.

    We picked up Don Graber who lives with his adult daughter in Hutchinson. He too walked with care and will be celebrating his 90th birthday soon. He served in Bolivia several years and then down at Rio Grande Bible Institute in Edinburg, Texas.

    Don’s first wife died in 2002 and several months later he married a single nurse. And Roberta died just a few years ago.

    Abe and Judy Schmidt joined us at Applebee’. They served in Panama for only 1 four year term. It was great to hear their story and learn of their adventure.

    Although NOT Avant retiree missionaries, I invited Virginia Swartzendruber and her sister Evie. They both know many many Avant missionaries and even Evie worked one summer at Echo Ranch in Alaska.

    Before our 9:30 Zoom for “First Monday zoom”, we stopped by Virginia’s for a 30minute. W FaceTime granddaddy.
    Read more