Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Monte do Gozo

    August 17, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    There is a simple but sad truth about the Camino Frances. Commerce and pilgrimage always live hand in hand, but their proportions change.

    True, the bars and cafes, albergues and supermarkets everywhere on the Way benefit greatly from being on the Camino, but they’re living in a sort of friendly symbiosis with the pilgrim. They provide services, transport backpacks, rent space and bicycles, always have a happy “Buen Camino” for those passing by, and in return pilgrims leave their money.

    The closer one gets to Santiago, the less the Way is about pilgrimage and the more it is about commerce. As pilgrim numbers increase, so do prices into the almost predatory. Friendliness and welcome disappear, replaced by grim greed and open disdain for the hordes of cash cows passing by.

    The last 100 kilometer to Santiago are a stark reminder, that there is nothing spiritual or religious about this former penal walk. Santiago itself is a Disneyland for Catholics, insert 5€ to confess here, pay €25 to see St. James, €450 and we’ll swing the Botafumero. Beds are 4x the cost of a cot in the Meseta, food is mediocre and served in small portions at prices that feed two for a week elsewhere along the Camino.

    I do not walk the Camino for those final 100. Tomorrow morning I’ll be passing through Santiago as fast as I can, heading into the hilly hinterlands towards the Costa del Morte and the End of the World, Fisterra. Here, long before Christianity, our ancestors buried their dead, believing their souls to be closest to whatever is behind the endless angry sea that never returned ships setting out to explore it.

    A dark and angry sea awaits me. And, more to the point of my post, humans who gladly trade good food and accommodation for a pilgrim’s coin. Out there, the soul roams free, uncaged by screaming advertisements luring it into expensive traps.

    To me, those last four days and the walk through Santiago tomorrow are challenges like the rain, wind, sun, and dust. Things overcome with happy thoughts that eventually steel the mind and free the soul once they become an ignorable background to the beauty that is the Camino.
    Read more