Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Eating in Ginza 2: Boobylicous Recovery

    April 14, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Two dinners at two restaurants in Ginza - the first was two cups of failure, the second was a boobylicious recovery.

    Second, the bootylicious recovery.

    After the two cups of failure we went looking for something pretty and came across a place called Tokyo Fugetsudo Ginza. They have some really awesome pastries and cakes at ground level to suck you in but they also have a restaurant upstairs to serve more substantial meals too.

    If Captain Georgiou wasn't killed by Klingons and decided to start her own restaurant, I think it would be run like Fugetsudo. The staff all have that Starfleet style of friendly efficiency, they even turned the light dimmers to Starfleet standard.

    The Starfleet personnel downstairs can communicate to staff upstairs with their own personal communicators so after they have scanned you with their tricorders they can communicate with Captain Georgiou as maitre d' so she has time to assemble an away team to have your table ready to go.

    It's not really that geeky - it's just a really nice place with really good staff with a classy vibe.

    They do have nice desserts here, unlike a lot of other Japanese desserts though, these ones are considered more "traditional", which I think means less sugary-sweet, more tart-citrus. It's all handmade though - e.g. the soft drinks are essentially cocktails mixed on site.

    It's a bit pricey, but you get what you paid for. Plus it is in Ginza - there aren't really cheap restaurants here. A vending machine doesn't count as a restaurant.

    Observations:

    Westerners value food by weight - we don't see value in food unless we get large quantities for low cost. We pay for food by the kg/pound, and then wonder why we put on all that extra weight in body fat.

    The Japanese value food by quality - they seem to value food based on the quality of the ingredients and the presentation of the food, not on how much of it there is. Their portion sizes are smaller, but only compared to the crazy-large western portion sizes. Part of the reason why they are less obese is that those "small" portion sizes are actually more appropriate to... humans...

    Main bonus for westerners in Japan raised on over-large portion sizes - if you don't like your first dinner, you can still go somewhere else and have another one somewhere else.

    Kaiju Collected:

    The location of Captain Georgiou's restaurant to come back to next time.
    Read more