Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2–4

    LISBON

    April 2 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    Day 1: After an uneventful red-eye flight, we arrived to a sunny, comfortable 65 degrees and couldn't wait to explore the city. We hiked up & down the narrow cobblestone streets to at least 3 of the "7 Hills" that make up Lisbon, from the Ponta Delgada cruise port to the Time Out Market to the City Center and up the steep hill to Castelo de S. Jorge. We stumbled across a movie shoot in progress of a woman getting saved from being hit by a truck at one of the Miradouras (overlooks). We couldn't resist passing another Pastelaria without trying a codfish croqueta and their famous Pastel de Nata, egg custard tart.

    After returning to the Sant Jordi Hostel, we needed a nap! We woke just in time to enjoy a White Port Spritzer in the Japanese tea garden, turned bar and a walk to Zé da Mouraria 2 for a delicious classic Portuguese dinner of Bacalhau, Shrimp in garlic sauce, and a sample of cherry beer and ginjinha, their famous sour cherry liqueur. Upon return, we caught the end of Top Gun Maverick on the garden's big screen.

    The top floor of the hostel gave us complete privacy with a small but comfortable room with a private bath while still enjoying the international mix of primarily young travelers. We had the option to eat a full European breakfast buffet or cook our meals in the shared kitchen.

    Day 2: Met friends of the Eckenrode family, Heather & Dave Wechter. Heather graciously walked in the chilly pouring rain, showing us more highlights, including Avenida da Liberdade and The Cathedral of Saint Mary Major, and a stop for a delicious lunch of seafood soup, grilled octopus & clams in more garlic sauce, the perfect way to warm up on a rainy day.

    We look forward to more time here after we return our rented bikes via train from Porto on the 11th and meet up with John's brother, Bob, and wife, Linda, before embarking on the hiking leg of our Camino together from Tui, Spain.
    Read more