Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    A Day of Indulgence ... ❤️

    May 9 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We slept so well that I missed the sunrise this morning. It was pure heaven, however, sitting in the sunshine on our deck whilst sipping my coffee. There was almost no wind and the heat of the sun warmed me clear through to my soul. It was so calm and peaceful ... I just wanted to savor every moment of this little haven we landed in ... because ... it is our last day here.

    We enjoyed our breakfast on the deck as well and then headed down to the beach to allow the sun and water to nourish us as only sun and water can do. We found a wee patch of sandier pebbles and set down the comfy beach chairs from our Airbnb. It was so heavenly that we stayed out there for almost three hours. The absence of wind was an extra bonus for our last day here. And, we were both listening to our books.

    After that, we cleaned up, grabbed some groceries and hung the laundry out to dry. Then, we headed down the promenade for our 2:45pm reservation at 'De Lab'! This restaurant was recommended by our Airbnb host. And, my goodness ... it did not disappoint in the least. They offer Menu of the Day ... so ... you pick one of the three appetizers, you pick one of the three entrees and you also get the dessert of the day.

    We ordered a red wine that was something we had never had before ... a "petit verdot". At first, we weren't going to have it because it was quite pricey ... but then ... we decided to give ourselves the permission to enjoy the experience of this unfamiliar grape. So we indulged ourselves and it was amazing. Dry but smooth. Given the price of it ... we savored every sip as though it was gold.

    For appetizers, I ordered an "Asian Salad with a mix of fish and glass noodles, vegetables, Thai dressing, crispy shrimp and fresh herbs". The old boy ordered the "crispy smoked eggplant in tomato and olive sauce, burrata Stracciatella, fresh basil and lime zest."

    I could not figure out why he was ordering the eggplant when there was a shredded beef option, but am I ever glad he did. I have only somewhat enjoyed eggplant in the past ... BUT ... I had never before had it done like this!! The flavors and texture were unbelievable. The Asian salad was so fresh and flavorful. We kept saying how good it was after every single bite.

    And, then came the main course. I opted to take the "grilled chicken tenderloin with green coconut curry, vegetables on jasmine rice". The old boy ordered the "grilled salmon with honey and mustard velouté, quinoa salad and roasted bimis". We had planned to share but when it arrived, his quinoa had an avocado dressing so I thought I would just skip tasting it. The server showed up with a bowl of that salad just for me ... without the avocado! It was completely unexpected and so thoughtful.

    The flavors were something extra special. My curried chicken tasted like we were in Thailand. The old boy's salmon fell apart when his fork touched it. The old boy exclaimed with extra enthusiasm that this is the best meal he has ever had. I know he get excited about his meals, but he might just be right about this! I am wondering if we are forgetting something better?? It was absolutely scrumptious!!

    The dessert was an Italian dessert ... "a pina coloda panacotta, coconut mousse, roasted pineapple and white chocolate." Oh my .............. ❤️

    After this culinary indulgence, we wandered all the way down to the town of Altea. The fishing boats were coming in and the old boy was curious. We couldn't get close, but found ourselves in the middle of the marina.

    It was an exceptional way to spend our last day here. We will pack up tonight and hit the road tomorrow. We need to return our rental ... wish us luck with finding the place and then we will hop a train to Madrid.

    I'll catch up with you all tomorrow after we get settled! Sending warm hugs ... hope you are all drying up. We heard it was very rainy!!

    Love, k&j ❤️
    Read more