Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 96

    San Sebastian

    February 12, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    After a day of relaxing on the beach we had another hike ahead of us. We had to register at CONAF where we got stuck with other people and lost some time.
    Only after that we were ready for the hike. The information where different at CONAF and mapy.cz what meant it should be anything between 8-10 km one way and about 1100 m of elevation.
    The initial part has been just really long zig-zag hike up the hill. After that we got to a meadow that showed us the first glimpse of where we are heading and the magnificent volcano Villarica.
    The next part was through a forest that showed us couple of nice views on the other side of the valley and where we had the "pleasure" to come face to face with the really huge tarantula. We have never seen one on real life so it really scared me when I found it standing on the path ahead of me. Shame we didn't take a picture before Petr moved it very slightly to the side so I can ran past.
    That scared me enough so for the next kilometer or so I mainly focused where I was stepping.
    Once we got out of the forest, really beautiful views opened ahead of us. There was couple of fake peaks that offered plenty of opportunities for pictures before we arrived to final peak.
    From here we had stunning 360° view of the Chile with glimpse of Argentina as well. We counted 6 lagoons or lakes and 8 different volcanos with Villarica and Pumalín being the biggest ones.
    We sat down for a lunch on the sunshine as the sky was absolutely cloudless.
    As we were running low on water and the heat was getting stronger, we decided to head back to the camp and go for a quick swim in a lake.
    Read more