Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 130

    Tarabuco

    March 18, 2018 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Thankfully we have left Potosi on Saturday as that allowed us to make a day trip to a small village around 65 km from Sucre.
    Every Sunday is a huge market in almost all street with work of art weaved blankets and other crafts.
    Once a year on a third weekend in Match there is a huge festival Pujllay. It's a version of American Thanksgiving and it's one of the Bolivian's biggest fiestas.
    Around 60 local communities arrive to this little village to celebrate wining over Spanish troops and wining back Sucre.
    We walked through the market and watched the different communities past the square while dancing and singing.
    They all headed to great open space where all the other villagers gathered watching then to dance around huge display of local produce.
    There were so many stools with food and local chicha drink that everyone seemed to enjoy.
    We have tried grilled meat with potatoes, delicious roast pork in a bun with super nice salsa and local ice-cream.
    I think it was definitely one of the most colourful things we have seen so far in South America and it was fantastic experience.
    Read more