Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 148

    Cusco -> Aguas Calientes

    April 5, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Our journey to the famous Machu Picchu started with an very early morning.
    We packed our two small backpacks the night before and left our big ones in the room where we will return next day.
    As true tourists we were ready outside the agency office 10 minutes before should have been what allowed me to grab a lovely coffee from a very fancy hotel right o the square.
    Next we had to wait for about half an hour before guide grabbed us to rush towards the mini bus that was waiting round the corner as they can't enter the city centre.
    We crammed into the bus all the way at the back and our 6 hour journey could begin.
    We knew well the first part of the journey as it followed same route as we did the day before through the Sacred Valley. Once we left the small village of Ollantaytambo, the fun part began.
    The journey took us literally through the clouds and around mountains before we climbed down towards the jungle.
    The last part was very entertaining once our mini bus tried to navigate along the mountain with cliffs right next to us and mini buses coming opposite way.
    I was really glad that I sat part to the mountain and didn't have to watch the cliff getting really close to our wheels.
    Even though the journey was beautiful, we were really glad when it finally ended and we have arrived to Hidroelectrica.
    From here it's 10 km hike along the rails to the village of Machu Picchu.
    The clouds above us threatened us with rain but it actually didn't start raining and we could enjoy the hike along banana trees and stunning flowers in full bloom.
    Few times along the way we met slowly and loudly passing train that is the only public transport option to get to Machu Picchu (read ridiculously expensive).
    After around two hours we have arrived and started searching our hostel where we would wait for our tour guide to hand over entrance tickets and information for next day.
    Read more