Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Prince George, BC...Day #2

    June 27, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    Another gorgeous day, and we scored on a couple of bikes from the Visitor Center! Comfortable, with helmets and bike locks. So they gave us a guide to various bike routes, most are shared roads with traffic, but at least they're was a bike lane. We road along the Nechako River out to Cottonwood Island which is just created by a little split in the river. Big beautiful cottonwoods, with the "cotton" blowing in the breeze...and intermittently through out the trees, are carvings done by a local artist. Just fun to find as you ride... but the mosquitos were THICK!! THANK YOU GOD we were on bikes and were faster than they are! We spoke to a couple who were walking (!) They were delighted that today was so much better than a couple of weeks ago. I was putting the repellant on my skin and my clothes! But the ride was nice and the small carvings terrific.
    Next stop Railroad and Forestry Museum. Just a little tired looking, they have a ton of rail cars and memorabilia, but maybe need more volunteers, or funding to better maintain it.
    Returned the bikes and then walked on downtown for quick sandwiches and a peek at Two Rivers Art Gallery. Very small, just two rooms, with exhibits that are always changing. Tom and I liked the gift shop best.... the current exhibits were really more statements then "art", from our perspective. But we don't really appreciate avant-garde or electronic art. But fun to give the gallery a try.
    Last stop was the Exploration Place, science and nature, with a little Prince George and First Nation history. Good, but definitely geared to school children, although the history part was interesting. Spent some time in the park with Auggie, really his first time out playing since the vet visit. I think he was really happy to run in a park and had lots of people to say"hi" to!
    Overall this was an odd stop, not a particularly pretty city, although it has potential; but lots of homeless people, and big problem with addiction. The visitor center is near the rail yards and downtown so could be just where we were visiting. But just not a pretty city....I really would not come back, but that is part of the adventure, you don't know until you visit!
    Read more