Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Teslin, Yukon Territory

    July 3, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    Another peaceful day on the road...no wildlife, except for a single, soaring eagle. Lots of road construction, mostly laying a chip seal, so a little slow going! But we really weren't going as far today because there were things I wanted to see in Teslin, which is just southeast of Whitehorse on the Alaskan Hwy.
    We would have been here sooner but i simply was not paying attention and let Tom go the wrong way out of town, like 10 miles or so! Couldn't understand why the navigation device we have kept wanting to turn us around...but you see I had a box of doughnuts in my lap to go with the hot coffee we got as we left town! So my focus was not what it needed to be! Well Tom finally found a spot to do a u-turn with our 30' RV on a 2-lane hwy, and we headed back the way we came, stopped for another cup of coffee in Watson Lake and headed the opposite direction.
    Crossed the continental divide mid-morning, crossed the state line between BC and YT several times, and lunch found us at yet another roadside lake, and by mid afternoon we got into Teslin. We grabbed a beautiful lakeside site at one of the Yukon government campgrounds outside of town and then headed back to town to visit the George Johnston Museum.
    The museum was so well done; and told a great story about this native Tlingit Indian. He pretty much lived his life in Teslin and besides being a trapper and business man, he photographed alot of his life and family/friends. The pictures tell so much about what life was like (before the highway) and the museum has a great number of artifacts, and some natural history. The 50 min documentary about his life and how the Alcan highway changed everyones life was excellent! Tom even stayed awake!
    Gassed up and headed back to our campsite. The Yukon government sites, like the BC provincial parks, are very nice, but generally have no power or water, pit toilets, no showers. So we kind of bounce between private parks that have most of the amenities and these government parks every other, or every two, days. Additionally the parks in the Yukon are all $12 Canadian, which is about $9 American!
    "Good" hot dogs and cabbage and apple salad for dinner!
    Read more