Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Whitehorse via Carcross

    July 4, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    Started our day at the Tlingit Heritage center, and boy are we glad we did! They served (free!) Bannock and coffee, with smoked whitefish. The bannock are literally fried dough, similar to fry bread, but shaped more like a pop-over. The were hit out of that vat of oil they are fried in....add a little butter and jam, yum! And the a bit of smoked whitefish, freshly caught and made from the day before. And COFFEE!
    We watched a video presentation about their annual cultural celebration and looked around the gallery. They also had carving demo by a gentleman related to George Johnston (the museum we saw the day before) and we saw the fishing demo and smoking area. Very interesting and nicely presented!
    Drove on to Carcross for lunch. (Stopped in Johnson Crossing because we heard they had cinnamon rolls!) We had been to Carcross before with the cruise. This is a day excursion for many Inland passage cruises. Passengers catch the train in Skagway, and it brings you out to this town in the Yukon. Kind of two aspects to this town, the old homes and a couple of buildings; (very early 1900s) or the "commons" which are all new shops developed together so you can do alot of shopping! All in walking distance...we had a great lunch, bison burger and beer, walked a little with Auggie, visited the Carcross desert and Emerald lake overlook; and headed on!
    Oh almost forgot, BEAR sighting on the way to Whitehorse! Just walked across the road... I was so panicked to get a photo I hit the button that reverses the lens and was taking a picture of myself! Collected my wits and still (with Auggie in my lap barking wildly) managed to get a photo!
    Checked into Whitehorse, went to the drug store for Benadryl (i had a bite that resulted in my eyelid swelling, I really do struggle with mosquitos...), went to the liquor store for some wine, and grocery store for more food! You can only buy wine in separate liscensed stores so a little inconvenient. And a lot more expensive, at least the wine is! So been drinking more sparkling water....simple salad with chicken and we called it a day!
    Read more