Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Pellys Crossing, Klondike Hwy 2

    July 7, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    We woke up this morning pretty much agreed that we're should adjust plans and head to Alaska via the Alaska hwy (hwy 1) instead of north on the Klondike Hey (hwy 2) via Dawson City. Our Canadian RV neighbors confirmed our choice and adjusted their plans to get to Dawson t.he long way round via the Alaskan hwy. as well.

    We said our goodbyes and headed out to the Yukon Wildlife Preserve to try and finally see some wildlife! Up close and personal....and we did to a certain extent. We did spy a single moose, and it was confirmed with the use of binoculars, but would have never been apparent in a photo, other than a brown lump...we did see mule deer, thinhorn sheep, mountain goats, caribou, musk ox and bison, so we did partially achieve our goal. Dont have many pictures to share because I used our big camera...we spent all morning there, we missed the bus tour, so we walked! But it is set up to be either walked or bussed so it was fine. After our walking tour we cut up meat , cheese and fruit for lunch and took off driving....

    While at the preserve we chatted with some local folks about the fire situation and they said that they understood that even the Alaska hwy was having problems due to a fire up the road we were to travel! Decision time again! Apparently the Yukon (and Alaska) are all ablaze! Ultimately we decided on our original route up to Dawson....

    Had a nice drive and about an hour plus into our afternoon drive we decided we would pull over to one of the intermittently placed "lodges" to ask locals, or fellow travelers, what they knew of road conditions to Dawson. We stopped at Braeburn lodge, (last check in for the Yukon sled dog race) and home to their "world famous cinnamon rolls, check out my picture!

    Anyway, Tom saw a fellow walking back to his RV and told me to go check with him. I looked more closely and it was Ron our "neighbor" from the RV park that morning! We all had determined that Hwy 1 was the best option and by mid day we all met up by pure chance on Hwy 2 instead! Boring story for any one reading this, but the four of us had a great laugh! They are on a 3 week trip from Saskatchewan. I cant even properly say the name of their province! We will probably see them again in Dawson...

    Couple more scenic overlooks and finally stopped at Pelly Crossing, again another "lodge", which really means a building, often can be log building, that offers gas and sort of a mini mart....some are pretty nice and offer alot, and some are not as nice. But every one seems to have a hanging basket of flowers! Overnighting in their local campground, no amenities, but it is free and pretty quiet!
    Read more