Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Smoke, smoke and more smoke, Fairbanks

    July 11, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Wow....several days late on this entry! But we have been busy anticipating the arrival of our third traveling companion!

    This day was pretty uneventful and actually kind of took a little joy out of the journey....the closer we get to Fairbanks the worse the smoke is. It is like being in Fresno on a foggy day, just a gray haze everywhere. Our eyes burn a little, its warm and muggy. There are a couple of fires on either side of Fairbanks, and the news is reporting this may be the worst fire season ever for Alaska! Had to try and let this go, and just enjoy the fact that we are on this trip, and the fires cant last for two months! Well maybe they can....arrrgh!

    Oh! We did see today, not just a moose. but a moose and a calf! Just when we thought we would never see wildlife on the busy Alaska highway, Tom spied them. Tried turning the RV around to get a picture, but I just could not get my fingers to push the right buttons on my phone as they sauntered back into the trees.....arrrgh!

    Mid day we arrived at Delta Junction, the official end of the Alaska Highway. I had our picture taken because by the time we get home we will have done most of it, but as of today, technically not that much. I have had Tom "take the road less traveled" so we could see more wildlife....which was a bust, arrrgh!

    Had lunch a Rika's Roadhouse, I had to stop and visit something!? But it was a nice historical stop even with the smoke. Well, I thought it was nice...

    Last picture for this day is of the pipeline, in the smoke. Just one of the hundreds of rivers this pipeline had to cross besides 3 mountain ranges!

    Arrived in Fairbanks, checked out the visitor center, which is really beautiful and very informative! So much so, we left and went to our RV spot so we could come back, take our time and have Cindy with us! Parked on the Chena River for the next three nights!
    Read more