Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Univ. of Alaska, Museum of the North

    July 14, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Loved this museum for both the architecture, very dramatic; but also for the content....a little bit of social science, Alaska history, historical biographies, natural science, animals, geology, and art; both older native American and current contemporary pieces!! And all sort of mixed together in some exhibits. Also has a special exhibit about earthquakes in Alaska. (Side note: they have some sort of earthquake up here about every 15 minutes....in the last five years 84% of the earthquakes over magnitude 4.0 occur in Alaska, 10% in Calif, and the rest in the balance of the states) But I digress, what I loved about this visit was the art gallery that is a part of the museum. I have included pics of some of my favorites. So we spent the morning and through lunch here just enjoying the exhibits. We also watched a 30 minute Nat Geo documentary on "Extreme Weather" that was interesting and Tom stayed awake for the whole film!

    Grabbed a late lunch, halibut sandwich! I love fish, I wish I could get more comfortable cooking with it... and maybe if it was a little less expensive! Finished up with some typical end of the day errands, filled up with gas, picked up a few random groceries and checked in at the next RV site. We all had showers tonight because next couple of nights will be in Denali national park!
    Read more