Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Alaska Sealife Center

    July 26, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Second time we have visited this wonderful center! (Tom and I saw it about 5-6 years ago when we were here for a 10 day Alaska trip.) I love their sea bird aviary, you get so close to the birds, they fly by your head, and squawk so loud! Well the seagulls do anyway!

    We did try to move the RV right up to the bays edge. As RVs on the water were leaving I would check to see if they were leaving for the day, or for good. Everyone that was leaving had already been asked about their departure date and had promised it to other travelers. Decided to be content where we were!

    Walked down to the Sealife Center and spent a couple of hours there. Lots of displays to see and read about. Live seal habitat, live sea lion habitat, some otters, and of course the puffins in the aviary. They also had several touch tanks with all the urchins, anemones, and star fishes. We spent a couple of hours here. Probably at least 30 minutes in the aviary, and watching the seal feeding. Really enjoyed our time!

    Back outside, had a late lunch of halibut, and then walked the downtown a bit. By now it was a regular rain not just misting, so we grabbed a shuttle and headed cross town to get a few groceries. Usually we are replenishing our produce because many dinners are some sort of salad, and we always have fruit for breakfast. Refrig is a little small, so we can't really stock up.

    Shuttled back to campground and got in out of the rain. We kept feeling so thankful that our tour had been the day before in all that beautiful sunshine! Today was all about the low hanging clouds and rain, which is pretty typical for Seward.

    Because we were "home" early were actually made a meatloaf and baked some potatoes. Comfort food on a wet evening! Watched another cruise ship head out of the bay. It is a good size bay, but still interesting to watch these large cruise ships come straight in, bow forward. But as they depart, the ships back out and then do a 180 degree rotation so the bow is pointed back out to sea. This ship "spun" right at about our spot on the bay. Spied a couple of otters out in the bay playing as well!
    Read more