Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    WOW...Kenai Fjiords National Park

    July 25, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Wow, what a gorgeous, beautiful day!

    We started a little early this morning because we wanted to move the RV from the campground outside of town to a "first come, first serve" campground right in the town of Seward and on Resurrection Bay, and still catch the shuttle for our boat tour. All accomplished with plenty of time. We aren't right on the bay, but just the second row back with a view of the water! Pretty much a parking lot here, but we can walk or take shuttles to move around and the bay is right in front of us!

    Picked up the shuttle for a 10 a.m. boat tour that included two fjiords, and in route a small time out in the Gulf of Alaska. The weather was perfect, clear beautiful skies, with a smattering of clouds around the mountain tops. The ocean was pretty gentle, and we got to see a lot of wildlife. On the way out of the bay we saw an eagle, and some otters. Out in the ocean we saw a humpback, and then a small group of the Dall porpoises. Further out a pod of orcas went by... and they were celebrating something! I have never seen whales breaching the few times I have been out whale watching, but this trip made up for that. The captain counted 9 breaches, all with in this pod of orcas! And then they came up and swam right beside the boat... it really was amazing! Then a drive by of an island with sea lions, and one with lots of my favorite, the little puffins. No wildlife shots with my cell phone, had my bigger digital camera that has a better lens to shoot long distance with.

    And this was all before were even had gotten to our glacier stops! We entered and viewed glaciers in two fjiords. Both were that spectacular glacier blue, and big! The second glacier was pretty active so we saw (and heard!) a number of calving incidents. Tremendous crack, with big splashes in the water as the ice drops. And finished the viewing with margaritas made with the glacier ice.

    Heading back to port we got to visit with the captain of the boat, who was terrific. She has grown up in Alaska, with boats and does this because she loves going out in the park. She has another job as well. It was really interesting to listen to her chat about her job.

    Got back to the harbor about 5 and then walked back to the RV to enjoy a glass of wine, the water view, and the sun shine! It was a great day, and we all felt blessed!
    Read more