Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Dip nets in Kenai

    July 28, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    Woke up to a pretty drippy gray morning! But its not that cold, just a little wet, which lends itself to a pretty messy floor in the RV. Thank goodness we have sheet vinyl! We sweep it out usually every morning and again when we pull into a camp spot. Having Auggie on board doesn't help much, so we have a mixture of dirt and dog hair constantly floating around!

    Headed over to the mouth of the Kenai river. I just wanted to see if they were fishing much, and if they were shore fishing or using boats. Goes to show you how little we know about fishing in Alaska, it is dip net season! So we had a real show at the mouth of the river! Lots of people with big nets, standing in the water, in waders, just waiting for all those fish (that are trying to come up steam) to simply swim into their net. Tons of families, lots of fish carcasses! They cut their heads off and gut the fish right on the beach. So you walk past piles of dead fish heads (eyes missing, I guess the birds eat them) and fish guts. However I was specifically given a doggie poop bag so I could clean up after Auggie! Hmmm. Auggie managed to eat some fish guts, so he was gifting the beach from both ends! Apparently it did not agree with his stomach....it really was fascinating to see, the dip netting...not Auggie!!

    Got back into the RV and headed down the west side of the peninsula, stopping to check out the views of the Cook Inlet, and various small fishing villages. It was a beautiful day, but not quite clear enough to see the mountains on the other side of the inlet. Maybe in the next day or two, it's supposed to stay warm! The towns pretty much occur where you find the mouth of a river. Clam Gulch, Kasilof, Ninilichik, Anchor Point. Also checked out the Russian Orthodox Church and cemetery that dates back to the early 1900s!

    Pushed on to our camp spot for the next three nights, on the outskirts of Homer. Plan to shuttle and trolley our way through the sites tomorrow! We were greeted by a bald eagle in a pine tree right in the middle of the campground. Salad with salmon for dinner!
    Read more