Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    A Herd of Bison!

    August 7, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    We drove today, and then we drove a little more, and in the afternoon we drove, and by the end of the day we had driven!

    Most of this leg; from Teslin to Watson Lake; we had driven before, so we really didnt have any major stops. We had already seen the George Johnson museum and the Tinglit Cultural Center, but we did stop for a short walk out to Rancheria Falls. Yes, Rancheria! And it is located fairly close to Big Creek! (Which happens to be near the continental divide up here) It seemed like such a funny coincidence to us! Cute little boardwalk out to the falls, and beautiful day to be outside walking, cool with blue skies, but the clouds looked like they were gathering up...

    Lunched in Watson Lake at Archie's Diner, I only mention because a month ago when we passed by it was Kathy's Kitchen. Things change so quickly out here...just joking! But if you saw how small some of these towns are (less than 500 population) you would wonder how they can stay open without a strong tourist traffic coming through! So we played our part in the Watson Lake economy.

    As I mentioned earlier, we drove some more and stopped at some river overlooks. Kept our eyes open on this leg because they are supposed to be a lot of bison in the area per the Milepost, our road guide for the trip.... sure! Just like it kept telling us to look out for bears, or a lot of moose, or a lot of caribou....
    This time we were not disappointed! Initially we saw one lone bison, and then two (mom and baby) and then finally the HERD! And just like in Yellowstone, these guys just don't care who drives by! They simply have their heads down and are g-r-a-z-i-n-g! Spent time just driving slowly beside them, enjoying the fact we we're actually seeing wildlife.

    After driving some more (did I mention that earlier) we got to Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park and campground. Those clouds that had been gathering ultimately turned to rain, and continued all night. But the campground is immaculate. Every site with gravel grounds, raked clean each day as the campers leave. Really green, mix of birches, poplar, and pines, and shrubs. Since it was so wet we decided to walk out to the hot springs in the morning...had dinner, read a little, no cell service, and went to bed.
    Read more