Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Ancient Forest and Tete Jaune Cache

    August 17, 2019 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 52 °F

    Spent just a little more this morning at Purden Lake taking the pictures I missed yesterday...but no blue skies today. Grey and overcast, with occasional raindrops.

    Heading to Tete Jaune to meet up with Kristi and Steve. Stopped at the Ancient Forest Provincial Park, to visit the ancient cedars. Much like our Sequoia groves this is a large area with towering red cedars. They survive and grow here because this area is a temperate inland rainforest. These cedar trees are huge, with diameter 8 to 10 and more, the largest we saw was 16 feet in diameter! They estimate that these particular trees are well over a 1000 years old, maybe as much as 2000! Lots of green undergrowth, boardwalk built to keep visitors off of the roots. Just wish we had some sunlight to add to the color, the pictures don't due this justice. This park was put in place just recently to save these trees, because they were going to be logged to allow planting for a more profitable tree type.

    Got done with this walk just as the rain started, so just enjoyed a late lunch in the RV listening to the rain. Also stopped in the little town of McBride and checked out their visitor center. About 3 to 4 miles out of McBride we did get a great glimpse of a black bear coming out of the forest. This guy actually stood up on his hind legs to get a better look at us, did not like what he saw, and took off...no picture! We are driving what is known as the Robson Valley, long green valley with lots of pasture land and cattle. Mountains on each side, very picturesque! Although cant see peaks because of rain clouds...

    Arrived at campsite, Tete Jaune Lodge before the Hibbs, and we were just completing hookups as the they drove in. We could not have arrived any closer if we had planned when to get here!

    Enjoyed a glass of wine (and snacks) and had a lot of fun catching up with all our travels!
    Read more