Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 77

    Slocan River (Hwy 6) and Nelson, BC

    August 31, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Still waking up to cool mornings, but they are definitely warmer. Don't need my jacket, or slippers. Flip flops and shorts work as long as I have a cup of coffee in hand.

    Packed up the RV and headed to the closest town, New Denver. I wanted to check out our route options again and headed to their visitor center. It was supposed to open at 9, we were a little early and waited. No one showed up, walked the main street which was about 4 blocks long. Never saw a soul, except for one woman who was walking her dog. Asked about an open coffee shop, she couldn't think of one. She said everyone was on"New Denver" time which I guess means you show up when you feel like it! But it looked like a cute town...

    Did find a really cute local coffee shop/cafe just down the hwy a bit in Silverton, no Visitor Center, but they did have some very nice muffins and coffee!

    This drive has been a beautiful, long winding road that parallels a long lake, Slocan Lake. While this is mining country, this is also hydro electric country, so lots of these narrow reservoirs that feed the generators, that result in a downstream river creating another reservoir feeding more generators. But the lakes are all beautiful and clear.

    Arrived in Nelson, located on the west arm of the Kootenay Lake, about noon. I had read that they have a lot of Victorian style buildings in their downtown district, and they did! Very eclectic downtown, some upscale boutiques, mixed with hardware and thrift stores, street singers, including lots of different cafes with street side dining. And several good size murals that the city is encouraging through an annual mural contest. They have completed 2 years of competition. I would have taken pictures but discovered my phone battery had died! Arrrgh! Had a nice lunch at one of the street side patio restaurants, walked around enjoying the energy of people out enjoying the day. I am pretty sure we were in the high 80s, one of our warmest days!

    Got back to the RV and continued on to Castlegar, found an RV park that had space at the Castlegar Golf Club. Visited the local Art Gallery here, they were in the middle of setting up as new exhibit for a local who works almost entirely "drawing" with fine string, or thread. The pieces after either stitched, or are woven together almost like a very fine lace. Interesting to see, but was still in process of being set up.

    After using sani dump at visitor center we headed out to the golf course/RV park. Beautiful setting, up above town, the sites aren't very private, but the setting is very nice, and the bathrooms/ showers look immaculate!

    Had to use the air conditioning while I cooked dinner. First time we have used since we left California....dreading the days to come. Goodbye cool, blue skies, goodbye endless forests, goodbye mountain lakes and waterfalls, goodbye Timbits, goodbye Canada! Hello, Hwy 395. We plan to cross the border tomorrow and wanted to take 395 all the way home, well, until Lee Vining. Why?? Why not?
    Read more