Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Mt. Rainier, afternoon views

    August 20, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    As you drove further in the park the views just keep getting better! Had lunch at Cougar Rock, and the early afternoon stop at Paradise Visitor center. This is the largest and main visitor center in the park. It has spectacular views of Rainier, except if there are clouds! And even with the clouds it did not disappoint... we could see some of the lower part of the mountain, with some glaciers, and a beautiful wildflower garden. LOTS of folks here! This stop is only at 5400 feet, but being so far north we timed it just right for a wildflower bloom!

    Never got in this visitor center, there was a line of visitors, all in masks waiting to get in. And (I think) it was only to go through the gift shop. But what a great location. There are lots of bikes out of this stop. But tons of hikes in the park, all different lengths and difficulties. I would love to come back and spend a couple of days here.

    Drove out Steven's Canyon road, more great views, if not for the clouds... and then all the way to the Steven's entrance, in the south east corner of park. We hopped out and took a short, but fun hike to the Grove of the"Patriarchs", thousand year old year trees, mostly cedar and pines. Crossed a suspension beside over one of the glacial creeks.

    Love this park, can't wait to come back and spend some time!
    Read more