Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Oklahoma and Oklahoma

    May 29, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    Well Oklahoma got a little more interesting as we drove east. Morning drive had more flat plains, and a little more cattle. But the good news is that gas is under $3.00 out here. So filling up isn't quite as painful. (Trust me, it still hurts...we are averaging about 8 mpg. Ouch!)
    Lunched at a little downtown cafe in Woodward. Another (slightly larger) Midwest town with lots of empty buildings. So many of these places were booming in the 1900s, (I think) but seem empty these days.
    We were surprised to see so many yucca plants. Not the big ones we see in the California desert but these smaller ones that were all blooming. At one time they were considering making it the state flower... to replace the mistletoe that had been in place for over a hundred year, until actually the Oklahoma rose won out.
    Topography really started changing, rolling hills, lots of trees, even some rocky plateaus...and began to see random oil "grasshoppers" pumps and air turbines with some big blades.
    Overnighting in Enid, Oklahoma. Pretty spot with lots of shade 🌳! (Not many pics today?!)
    Read more