Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 153

    Canyonlands Natl Park

    October 21, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 50 °F

    Another great park! Definitely different from Arches, but a lot of the same colors!

    Actually started our day at Dead Horse State Park, which is on the way into Canyonland. Nice state park, lots of bikers here. Campgrounds and yurts. The primary overlook gives you a view of a big bend in the Colorado River. This is a great warm up for some of the views we got at Canyonland.

    Got to Canyonland and started at the Island in the Sky visitor center, exhibit and movie were closed again. But we did get the rental CD to listen to as we drove through the park. There is hiking here, but you experience most of this park in the overlooks. Unless of course you want to hike down a canyon wall and back up.... Since Kristi and Steve aren't with us we just did the overlooks!

    They were all great and the CD gave us a little background about each. Enjoyed our lunch at Mesa Arch, which is their iconic arch picture you often see. Lots of visitors. We did save the best for last, Grand View. It is a big view of the canyon, specifically the Colorado River. This stop does have a mile long rim walk that you can make that gets you to the end of the plateau of this "island in the sky". It is the end of the plateau because it is at the confluence of the Colorado and the Green River. The walk doesn't allow you a view of the confluence just a merging of the canyons formed on either side of the plateau. Just fabulous views!

    Back to the RV later than we expected, showers and leftovers for dinner. But only after Auggie got some of his walk time!
    Read more