Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Grand Rapids for lunch

    June 5, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Decided we would head to traverse today, but with a couple of stops. Left Hammond, Indiana and we were through the northern state of Indiana in about an hour. Indiana has just a little chunk of the shore of Lake Michigan.
    We left the interstate to drive the business loop into St. Joseph's. Always fun to see the large lakeside homes. Like so many Michigan homes, the front yards are big green parks, well maintained with riding mowers.

    St. Joseph's was a cute lakeside and harbor town. We stopped for about 30 minutes just to get out and walk a little. There was a very light drizzle, but not enough to cancel their sidewalk antique sale. Charlie dragged us around with her nose to the ground...

    Back on the road and drive the 80 miles or so into Grand Rapids. We decided to take Shannon's recommendation and check out their downtown market place. It is a large renovated building with multiple eateries and food shops. Lots of really good food options and fun to walk through. The have a beautiful enclosed event space upstairs that is essentially a huge greenhouse. All glass, green plants and lights. There was a wedding that was just ending.

    After lunch and wandering around the marketplace we didn't get on the road until 3 or so, which put our arrival in Traverse City after 6. Long day, but we got parked and had time to give Charlie some run time! Because we got here a week earlier than anticipated we will be in one site for a week and then move to our final site for the summer. We were fortunate that the rain held off until 8 or 9 that night!
    Read more